Session 8 - Activities of Daily Living
There is no doubt that caring for a person with Alzheimer's disease can be frustrating and difficult. But it can also be rewarding. Solving problems and becoming confident in knowing how to give care can provide you with a great sense of satisfaction.
We are learning more and more about how to provide good care for the person with Alzheimer's disease day to day -- and still take care of yourself.
Much of what we know comes from the experience of family and professional caregivers. Together, we are all learning how to deal with the challenges of this disease.
In this session you will learn how dementia can affect everyday functioning and how we can build on a person’s strengths to help maintain their quality of life. An Occupational Therapist will introduce some practical ways to adapt activities and the environment to ensure safety and encourage independence.
When you have completed this session, you will be able to:
- Understand how dementia can affect every day functioning.
- Identify the strengths and personal preferences of a person with dementia.
- Recognize the importance of adapting activities to maximize participation and maintain quality of life.
- Name practical approaches to assist a person with dementia to participate safely in meaningful activities of daily living, personal care and leisure.
- Identify community supports/resources for assistance with issues related to changes in function as dementia progresses.
Work through the various parts of the session at your leisure. Move from one part to another at your own pace and in the order that makes sense to you, based on your own needs and interests.
Take time to visit the Discussion Forums, where you can post, in a common area, messages to all other community members. It’s a place for you to interact with others and to discuss the topics and ideas introduced throughout this session.
At any time, you may scroll to the Search bar at the top of the page and type a specific question or topic.
Other Sessions in Seeds of Hope - Family Learning Series