Session 6 - Choose a healthy lifestyle!
Part 7 - 11 Actions to Control Your Blood Pressure
The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada recommends that you get your blood pressure checked at least once every year by a healthcare provider.
Healthy lifestyle habits can reduce your chance of getting high blood pressure. If you already have high blood pressure, these same habits will help control your high blood pressure and reduce your risk of future health problems.
If you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure (or other related conditions), your doctor may recommend that you get it checked more often. Be sure to ask your doctor how often you should have your blood pressure checked.
Additional actions you can take to control your blood pressure include:
- Monitor your blood pressure.
- Take medication as directed.
- Eat less salt.
- Eat foods high in potassium.
- Follow a healthy, balanced diet with lots of vegetables and fruit.
- Aim for a healthy weight.
- Eat less Salt
- Keep active.
- If you smoke or chew tobacco, quit.
- If you drink alcohol, drink less.
- Manage your stress.
Other Sessions in Knowledge Hub for Brain Healthy Families