Session 1 - About Me
Part 7 - Working Together
Working with care home staff so they can meet your family member’s unique needs requires communication and relationship building on both sides.
Guide: Think about how you would like to communicate and work with staff at the care home your family member/friend is at. Answer the questions below to get some ideas about what to communicate with staff.
- What do you want the facility to know about you and your family member/friend (make a short list of points to share – this can also include pictures)?
- What should your health care providers know about your family member/friend as a person to give them the best care possible?
- What would you want any staff member to know about you/them as a person?
- Likes, dislikes, hobbies, interests, favourite foods, previous occupation
- Are there special qualities you would want them to see?
- Are there key roles or relationships you want them to know about?
- Are there specific concerns, or important beliefs, you would want them to be aware of?
- Get to know the staff who are caring for your family member/friend. Make a list of their names.
- Make a list of what is most important to you about the care provided for your family member/friend (i.e. My wife is very proud of her appearance).
For tips on advocacy and communicating with staff, see the helpful resources section.
Other Sessions in My Tools 4 Care - In Care